Amazing Crochet Lace IS Truly Amazing


I learned to crochet 31 years ago while my husband was stationed in Italy and I was pregnant with my first child. I had been knitting for several years, but had always wanted to learn how to crochet because it seemed there were so many beautiful things you could make from crochet that you could not do with knitting. Being in Europe and surrounded by so much old crochet lace only enhanced my desire to learn. So when two of my friends started making beautiful pineapple crochet tablecloths, I knew I had to learn. I just loved the delicate, lacy thread designs of doilies and wanted to create some of my own. The pineapple design continues to be my favorite today and I am still inspired by beautiful thread crochet designs.
So when I saw Doris Chan's book, "Amazing Crochet Lace", New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace, I just knew I had to have a copy!
The book, itself, grabbed me from the beginning. Yes, I knew from flipping through the pages that it had luscious designs; but I was also pleasantly surprised when I began to read (in Doris' own words) the Forward and the Trimming Me section in the beginning of the book. Doris has a natural talent for telling a story that makes you want to know more.
Crochet-wise, Doris introduces and teaches her own approach and techniques to making "a seamless lace garment", which are used throughout the book. She calls it her MO, or modis operandi and says you need only to know basic crochet skills in order to learn them.
Fashion-wise, the book is filled with lovely, lacey wearables that have become Doris' signature style. It seems as though she put a lot of thought into choosing a variety of beautiful styles and colors that would appeal to many different tastes. One of my favorites is the beautiful pineapple Blue Curacao Shawl. Apparently, I am not alone, because I have seen this lovely shawl posted many times on Ravelry!
The book is photographed beautifully. I love the black and white backgrounds contrasted by the full color of the crochet designs.
If you love crochet lace, you will love this book! It is crochet lace-lover's eye candy!
Oh, and for the record, I know I am a couple of years behind on this review and that Doris has another book out since writing this one! I can't wait to buy Everyday Crochet to see what that is all about!
BTW, if you enjoy Doris' storytelling as much as I did, you can visit her blog Doris' Everyday Crochet to hear more!
Pin It!