Thursday, September 24, 2009

Be Careful Not to Take Things for Granted :)

When my mom had a bad accident two years ago that changed the lives of all of my family members, I thought I learned well that you can never take anything for granted. It is amazing how our well-thought-out plans can be instantly transformed!
Yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call from the Editor-in-Chief of the Publishing company who had contracted with me for my Crochet Book. They have decided to 'get out of' the knit and crochet book design field and would not be able to publish my book after all. Needless to say, I was stunned to hear this news, especially after putting in countless man-hours and months of work!
As a designer and now full-time caregiver, I have learned to roll with the punches. I was going to say that most of the time, we have no choice. But I know now that that isn't necessarily correct. Our choice is in how we decide to accept and deal with those punches. We can choose to fall apart, or we can rise up and try to make something good from our circumstances. It isn't always easy, but I believe we are better off in the long run if we try to find something positive in the set of circumstances we find ourselves at the moment.
Inspired by a few blog posts I had previously read by fellow CHA designers Sarah Hodsdon and Margot Potter I feel like I am going to FORGE AHEAD, this time with a different direction. Who knows? I may just get this book published yet!
Pin It!

9 comments :

Molly Made said...

I am SO sorry! I think your approach is exactly the right way to handle this news. I always say, it's not how you fall down, it's how you get up. For some reason I am always falling, but I've learned that falling with a great recovery can actually get you further than if you never fell at all.
Without a contract, maybe you wouldn't have forced yourself to do the work you have already done. Now... you are that much further ahead of the game. Maybe you can even put some of that "self publishing" info we learned to work.
All this aside. Before you forge on... what a bummer! Sit with that for a moment and then make the book even better than it would have been!

Ellen Gormley said...

I'm so sorry Jocelyn. This is a huge disappointment for you and the crochet community.

Deneen said...

I know it's a huge disappointment, however, making lemonade out of lemons, you now have the book ready and done-perfect to submit to other publishers without the pressure of getting it together, having patterns tested, etc.

Best of luck to you :)

Karen Ratto- Whooley said...

I cant believe it! :( I am so sorry this happened.. but I love your attitude about the whole thing.

I agree with Molly, maybe self publishing? OR another publisher may take it on because you are so far ahead?

Mary Jane said...

I am so sorry to hear this Jocelyn. I know it's heartbreaking, but you have the talent, so I know you'll find just the right publisher. Try to look at it as being protected by something you may not foresee. This can turn into a good thing and I really appreciate your attitude about it all. You're an inspiration :)

April Creates said...

I am sorry to hear that Jocelyn. I am glad that you are handling it so well. I hope that you are able to get it published some other way.

Margot Potter said...

Jocelyn

That's a pretty big bummer, but your attitude is great. It's a time of chaos these days, lots of curve balls are being thrown at creatives.

It's how we respond to these things that defines us. Something better will come of this, I'm certain of it.

Onwards and upwards!

Cheers,
Margot

Tekoa said...

It may not seem like it now, but something great is going to come out of this. I say go ahead and publish the book yourself. I would be very interested in purchasing it.

Jaybird Designs said...

BUMMER!! So sorry!